Lunar Eclipse Gallery
back to

Summary: The full moon glided through Earth's shadow on May 15/16, 2003. Sky watchers in the Americas, Europe, Africa and parts of Asia saw the moon redden and fade for nearly an hour. It was the first lunar eclipse of 2003. [full story]

Page 1 | This is Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5
Unless otherwise stated, all images are copyrighted by the photographers.

  Photographer, Location, Date Larger images Comments

Jimmy Herrera, Monterrey, N.L. México #1 Photo details: 20:43 hrs to 00:23 hrs CDT every 10 minutes. Olympus OM-1 ISO 100 f/11, f/8, f/5.6 and f/2.8 using a 28mm lens and a fixed tripod.

Guillermo Oyhenart, the Argentinian Patagonia #1 These pictures were taken by Guillermo Oyhenart (Diario La Arena) while traveling through the Pampas searching for clear skies.

Stan Richard, Des Moines, Iowa, USA #1, #2, #3 S. Richard: "Photographs just don't do it justice. Hearing my daughters scream WOW as they gazed at the eclipse through my binoculars was a thrill for me. Right when it went 'total' my oldest made the remark that it looked like someone was shining a flashlight down on the moon, pretty descriptive."

Christoph Rollwagen, Potsdam, Germany #1 C. Rollwagen: "On Friday morning, May 16th, I was able to observe the lunar eclipse for a few minutes from Park Sanssouci in Potsdam. Most of the time the sky was cloudy, then the moon appeared for a short time through a hole in the clouds just when it was about to set."

Brian Snarr, Modesto, California, USA #1 B. Snarr : "This was taken me (a physics teacher at Modesto Adventist Academy) and two high school physics students, Krystle Toyama and Kary Davis using a Meade 8" LX200 and a Nikon D100. We had to wait for a while until the moon was visible. Nice, though, for an initial trial with the telescope and camera!"

Alan Stankevitz, Hokah, Minnesota, USA #1 Photo details:C anon D60 / Meade 8" reflector telescope.

Brad Potts, McCall, Idaho, USA #1 B. Potts: "Heavy cloud cover here in McCall prevented me from taking very many pictures. This was a lucky one, as a hole in the cloud deck opened for about 30 seconds." Photo details: Canon EOS 10d. Exposure 1/8 sec. F-Stop 8.0. ISO 800. Focal Length 300mm.

Mike O'Leary, El Cajon, CA, USA #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 M. O'Leary: "Clear skies in San Diego made for a beautiful eclipse. These photos were taken from Sunrise Highway, about 45 miles east of San Diego. I used a Canon D-60 with various lenses."

Carol Lakomiak, Tomahawk, Wisconsin, USA #1, #2, #3 C. Lakomiak: "The sky was thickly overcast for about 90% of the show, but I managed to take a few pics during the other 10%... This was my first attempt at prime focus lunar eclipse photography."

Colin Tyler Bogucki, Minneapolis, MN, USA #1, #2 C. Bogucki: "These were taken from the rooftop deck at Joe's Garage Restaurant in Minneapolis, MN. I used a Nikon camera & 700mm lens with Kodak E100VS."

V. Lara, San Salvador City, El Salvador #1 Photo details: Canon 1-N camera, a 800mm lens at f/5.6, 100 Fuji film, and 1/300sec. exposure.

Jay Friedland, Santa Cruz, California, USA #1 "My son especially liked his first 'Night of the Red Moon,'" says Friedland.

Chris Haws, Mounds View, MN, USA #1, more "What a beautiful and captivating show." Photo details: Olympus C-4000 digital exposed 16 seconds, ISO 100, F2.8.

More: from Philippe Moussette of Quebec City, Canada; from Dana Davis of Scottsdale, Arizona; from Becky Ramotowski of cloudy San Antonio, Texas--home of Tim Duncan and the Laker-beating Spurs;